The City of Sulphur, Louisiana

Faith - Family - Community

Faith, Family, Community


Browse All |  Ask A Question |  By Type |  By Department |  By Category |  By Topic
Results 1-26 of 26
How do I obtain my Article 894?
When in court, you were sentenced under Article 894, you must complete your probation successfully and then apply to the court for your aquittal. A DWI under Article 894, Misdemeanor under Article 894, or Traffic Charge under Article 894 form will be given to you at the time of your sentencing. You must complete your probation and bring the listed items to the court as per the instructions.
Am I allowed to do defensive driving for a traffic ticket?
You must speak with the prosecutor on your ticket.
Who do I speak with if I wish to discuss my ticket?
If you received a traffic violation from the Sulphur City Police (your copy has the court address stamped in red on the upper left hand corner of the ticket), and wish to discuss your ticket, you may call the City Prosecutor or the City Prosecutor's Assistant at 337-528-9438. If you received a traffic violation from the Calcasieu Parish Sheriff's Office or the Louisiana State Poilice and wish to discuss your ticket, you may call the State Prosecutor at 337-527-7006 or 337-437-3400, or the State Prosecutor's Assistant at 337-437-3426.
Where is Sulphur Animal Control located?
Sulphur Animal Control is located at 3410 Bayou D'Inde Road in Westlake, La; approximately 1.5 miles east of Highway 108; within the Sulphur Regional Wastewater Treatment Facility. GPS Coordinates N 30 degrees 14.5419 W093 degrees 15.33774
What if my pet is picked up by animal control?
If your pet was picked up by an animal control officer or brought in by a concerned citizen and is wearing a Calcasieu Parish rabies tag, ID tag and or micro chip we will make every effort to contact you. If not, you may visit our facility to see if in fact your pet was impounded. It is important to contact our facility (527-4577) the same day of your pet's disappearance. If your pet was impounded at our facility there is an impound fee, boarding fee and possibly a Vaccination fee if your pet is not current on its rabies vaccination. These fees may be paid for by personal check, cashier's check or exact cash.
Is there a "leash law" for cats in Sulphur?
Sulphur has an ordinance pertaining to cats in the form of a containment requirement; cats that are owned must remain on owner's property at all times.
What causes brown looking water?
There could be several reasons for discolored water. At the treatment plant our many large filters are designed to remove a certain amount of iron before they need to be cleaned, which we do at timed intervals. However, they can become overloaded & cause what we call a filter break-through and it can get into the distribution system before we can clean the filters. Another cause is if the maintenance dept. is working on a water leak in the area, redirecting flow through a water main can cause a water hammer and knock loose encrustation from the pipe walls. This can also occur when hydrants are open and closed. Usually customers can run their water for about 30 minutes or so to clear out the problem, if not, give us a call at 337-527-4583 and we'll be glad to go out and flush out the main.
Sometimes I have low pressure, what causes this?
The first thing I would ask as a customer is, "Do I have low pressure throughout my home?" If the answer is no, I would check to see if I have a clogged filter screen on that faucet, which can be unscrewed & cleaned. Another cause can be a water leak in the area, affecting the pressure in your home and your neighbors'. Finally, severe drought conditions cause people to use a tremendous amount of water, especially the watering of lawns. There is an ordinance in effect during dry months to remedy this situation, but we need everyone's help in educating neighbors to ordinance.
What happens during power outages?
Our Treatment facilities are equipped with very large diesel generators with plenty of fuel supply to last a few days until power is restored from entergy.
How do we manage hurricanes?
We have procedures in place we follow to a tee. First, be prepared, generators are always tested for performance & fueled. Facilities are secured. Operators know procedures. Both treatment plants are manned during incident. When conditions worsen the plants are switched to generator power & last possible safe evacuation for those operators are given to meet up with supervisor at the command center. Finally, when it is safe, we check our facilities.
What did our water plant experience during Rita, Ike and Gustav?
We lost power from Entergy, but our generators worked perfect & we never lost system pressure, except during Hurricane Rita, our generators kicked off for some unexplained reason, when it was safe to come out we just restarted our generators & pressure came back up very rapidly.
What government bodies regulate our water quality?
EPA, DEQ & in particular The Dept. of Health & Hospitals.
What is our track record on water quality?
We have an outstanding track record with DHH, all reports & projects are always on time & are often used as examples for other community water systems to go by. Now on a few occasions, a couple of our test sites out of 30 of our monthly bacteriological testing come up positive.
What can cause a sample to fail when tested for water quality?
Samples can fail for many reasons. Samples are taken by a Sanitarian from the health department. They are not to be collected when it's raining or when there are heavy winds so that nothing compromises the sample. Did they collect the sample from a contaminated water tap because of animals or insects. Finally did they run the tests correctly. Positive samples are always rechecked immediately at that site as well as one upstream & one site downstream. We have never had a follow-up test came back bad ever.
How do I know the operators of the water production facilities are qualified?
Our operators are required by DHH to possess a Class 3 Water Production, Treatment & Distribution Certificate. There are 4 levels of Production Treatment & Distribution. The level you need is based on population served. Currently the Plant Supervisor holds all three certificates of Class 4. The Foreman holds Class 3's & another operator possesses Class 2's. They are also required to maintain 24 hours of certified training to keep their certification.
Where does our water come from?
Our water comes from an underground supply called the Chicot Aquifer, which starts around Alexandria & ends a little south of us & from the Sabine River to the east to Breaux Bridge.
How is our water treated?
First we inject chlorine to kill bacteria & potassium permanganate to oxidize iron & manganese, then they pass through special sand filters to remove everything except the chlorinated water. Then we inject a small amount of fluoride for dental hygiene & a corrosion inhibitor made from a fruit by-product to slow down the corrosion rates on all piping.
Does my pet need a yearly rabies vaccination?
Yes, all dogs and cats are required by state law to be vaccinated for rabies yearly. Rabies tag must be attached to collar of animal.
What do I do if I am bitten by a dog or cat?
Seek medical attention as soon as possible, if the bite and or scratch breaks the skin (bleeds) Animal Control should be notified by calling 527-4577 or the Sulphur Police Department at 527-4550.
What do I do about stray/feral cats on my property?
The City of Sulphur has a containment law concerning free roaming animals, cats are no exception. You may call our department Monday-Friday to obtain a humane box trap (trapping procedures apply) you may also purchase your own trap at most hardware, feed store or on-line under Humane box traps.
I found a baby bird/wildlife what do I do?
According to the Massachusetts Division of Fisheries and Wildlife; all wildlife is better left alone.
Are there any laws against feeding wildlife; such as raccoons and squirrels?
Currently there are no laws pertaining to the feeding of wildlife in Sulphur, however please bear in mind that wildlife such as raccoons carry a wide variety of diseases. Once you begin feeding these types of animals they will soon become a nuisance to you and your neighbors. Tips for keeping stray cats and other wildlife from becoming a nuisance: * Do not throw leftovers outside. * Use Bungee Cords to tie down your trashcans. * Pick up any leftovers after your pets finish eating. * Close up any holes that lead to your home or attic. * See "nuisance wildlife" links at bottom of page.
Can I sell animals on the side of the road or from a store parking lot in Sulphur?
Yes, you can if you have permission from the store and you must also obtain a peddlers license from the City of Sulphur. Call 527-4517 for more details.
Is there a program to have my pet spayed or neutered at a reduced cost?
Calcasieu Parish Animal Services has a program for reduced spay and neuter's for qualified applicants. Call 337-721-3730 to see if you qualify and for more information.
Will my pets be adopted if I surrender them to animal control?
We try to place the right companion animal with the right new owner, however, we can never quarantee that all stray or surrendered animals are placed in good homes. We do work with various "Breed Rescue Groups" that work endlessly to foster and locate "Forever" homes for a wide range of dogs and cats.
Where do I go for Birth Certificates, Birth Cards, & Death Certificates.
Birth/Death Certificates are handled by the CALCASIEU PARISH CLERK OF COURT and can only be obtained at the West Calcasieu Office located in Sulphur, LA.
Results 1-26 of 26