The City of Sulphur Code of Ordinances requires each business person or firm located inside the City Limits to purchase a business license from the City. This includes those conducting business inside the City Limits, but with their actual place of business located elsewhere. A business license must be acquired prior to opening a new business, and must be renewed annually for existing businesses.

If you are planning to open any new business inside the City of Sulphur you will need to contact our office prior to applying to verify that the property is zoned appropriately. All new businesses will be required to have a Certificate of Occupancy before the business can open.  Any liquor stores, hotels, motels, restaurants or daycares must obtain approval from the State Health Department. Every separate location of a business needs an occupation license. When returning the business applications, you will need to provide a color copy of your ID.

Should the location of your business change remember to:

  • Verify the land use before re-locating
  • Obtain a Certificate of Occupancy for the new building
  • Notify the license department of your new address

If you are applying for a home business you must first get approval from the Public Works director before applying for the Occupational license.

Liquor License must be approved by the city council.  To get on the agenda for the following month that you apply you must have ALL required documents turned in by the 25th of the month in which you apply. Council meetings are held on the second Monday of each month. To apply for your Louisiana state alcohol license, you can use the following website:

Business license expire on the 31st of January. Renewals are due by March 1st to avoid interest and penalties.

The Louisiana state board of contractors has provided a website and an app to make it convenient for you make sure your state license is up to date, print a copy or to make sure the contractor you chose for home repairs or updates is state licensed. Below is the website

Business License Applications


The CALCASIEU PARISH SALES TAX FORM needs to go with each application.

Click on the link above or find it in the Associated Documents section.